Outward Bound was developed in 1941 by a German educator Kurt Hahn. The first Outward Bound School was established in the town of Aberdovey located in Wales. The first Outward Bound course was designed to toughen up and train young sea merchants from the Blue Funnel Line. (Grade 9)
The name "Outward Bound" is a nautical term represented by the Blue Peter flag. It signifies a ship leaving the safe harbour for the unknown. Today, Outward Bound is an internationally recognised learning institution providing outdoor experiential learning. Every Outward Bound programme is designed to develop resilience and inculcate youths with values connecting to The Four Pillars of Outward Bound.
The birth of Outward Bound did not solely revolved around The Four Pillars.
Kurt Hahn also observed that young people of his time suffered the Six Declines and struggled with challenges. Hence, he started the first Outward Bound programme in 1941, designed to counter the Six Declines and develop resilience and character in young people.